VIRO was commissioned by a renowned manufacturer for the offshore industry to assist in the development of a crane with a capacity of 5,000 tonnes. This exceptionally large, heavy lift crane is used for tasks such as lifting and placing complete offshore platform modules. Part of this work was the design of the slewing system, which is the runner wheel system on which the entire crane stands and can rotate. Due to the enormous dimensions and lifting capacity, this system is subject to extreme forces.
In order to ensure the structural integrity, Engineering Analysis performed high accuracy strength calculations. The assessment was performed in accordance with the internationally applicable standards and certification requirements of Det Norske Veritas (DNV). The strength calculations were also used for a detailed assessment of the welds and optimisation of the design. This resulted in weight reduction and lower material costs.
Work on the slewing system
- Preparing concept calculations and designs
- Providing all necessary basic engineering and layouts
- Making all required FEM calculations (Femap / NX Nastran)
- Making all required detail and production drawings (NX)
- Reporting of the performed analyses for approval by the NoBo
If you would like to know more about what VIRO can do for you, please contact one of our specialists at your nearest VIRO office.